Built in 1817 by Isaac Love, The Iron Forge sat upon the West Fork of the Little Pigeon River. The Forge harnessed the river’s power to lift a 500-pound hammer head which eventually turned ore into valuable iron.
Flames from the Forge would light up the hills at night as the Ironmaster smelt and molt brown hematite ore into “pig iron.” This iron was then pounded into vital tools for local farmers as well as bars of iron that were shipped down the river to cities across America.
Iron-making was one of Tennessee’s true industries and the Forge not only created local jobs but laid the foundation for future industrial development. It is the namesake of our Distillery and also the city – Pigeon Forge.