One of the oldest continuously operating mills in the country, The Old Mill became a fixture on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. It is one of the most widely photographed mills in the country.
A true landmark in the area, the Mill was essential to everyday life, providing a community gathering place, grains that were crucial for the settlers’ day-to-day existence, and electricity for the area up until the 1930’s.
Today, The Old Mill’s giant water wheel still harnesses the flow of the Little Pigeon River to power a system of shafts, belts, and pulleys in order to grind grain. These freshly ground grains are sold by mail-order and used throughout The Old Mill Square — from the artisan breads and desserts baked and served at The Old Mill Restaurant and The Old Mill Pottery House Café & Grille, to the hand forged spirits crafted at The Old Forge Distillery.